Monday, February 4, 2008

So what else could I write about?




...I mean, besides the follow-up to that the Rawkus story I started a little while ago, but I’ll get to that later this week. Promise.

All of life was centered around the Superbowl yesterday, so I might as well right about that, as “late” as I may be. Even as I type this, “THE” sports story has become Bobby Knight’s resignation.

So, you may have heard the Giants won and that it was a big deal. I personally didn’t have strong feelings either way. I guess when it came down to it, I was kind of rooting for the Pats, because while I don’t like them, I dislike the Giants even more. Plus, it was the best chance I’d ever have to see an undefeated NFL season during my life, so I kind of wanted to see it happen.

But that’s all over and done with, and a we now live in a world where Eli Manning is Superbowl MVP, Tom Coughlin looks like a super-genius, and the Pats finish the season with as many wins than any other NFL has ever recorded, but are still disappointed. So, here’s a list of the good and bad things, from my perspective, that come out of the Giants win/Pats loss:

The Good:

1. I never have to have it shoved down my throat that the 2007 Pats are the greatest team ever. Losing kills the luster.

2. The “Brady is as good as Montana” statements can cease and seckle for a little while now. It wasn’t really Brady’s fault the Pat’s lost, but the fact remains that Montana never lost a Superbowl or spent as much time on his back during key drives as Brady did. Big Joe Cool remains the Gold Standard for play-off and Superbowl QBs.

3. Strahan’s kind of a goof, but I can support him having a ring, because he’s great and what he does and almost anyone who hangs around the league long enough becomes respectable. I also like Amani Toomer, and he gets his deserved ring.

4. There’s some karmic retribution for Belichick running up the score on teams for two-thirds of the season. Always thought it was a classless move on his part, more so than the allegations of cheating. Well, now his team got held to its fewest point total all season; all is right in the world.

5. Tiki Barber looks like a moron. Dude is whining doofus and always was a whining doofus. And he looks really stupid right now. I approve.

The Bad:

1. I must deal with more Mercury Morris and the rest of the 1972 Dolphins on TV. I find the whole lot of them insufferable, Morris more than the others. Probably the biggest reason why I wanted the Pats to win was to shut them up. Now I get to watch Morris act like a bigger jackass than usual. But in all fairness, he would have remained an insufferable jackass even if the Pars won.

2. I gotta listen to people comparing Eli’s drive to Joe Montana’s drive in Superbowl 23. Um, no. Sorry. Wrong answer. Montana’s 92-yard, 11-play drive epitomized absolute flawless execution when his team needed to make its way down the field to win. Eli’s drive wasn’t NEARLY as flawless, and well, cool. Eli needed a little a scrambled and a circus catch to win. Not even close.

3. The rehabilitation of Tom Coughlin. Coughlin has always been insufferable as a coach. More than Belichick even. Dude is a consummate sour ass and excruciating to play for. He’s been a jerk and treating his players like shit at every stop he’s made. His behavior damn near got him fired for close to three straight seasons, including this one. Now, he’s a genius for out-coaching the coach who out-coaches everyone, and this win guaranteed the he’ll stick around for at least two more years. Oh goody.

4. More talk of how the Pats we’ll be back next year. They’ve got the Niners first round draft pick, and will probably be christened the odds-on favorites to win it all next year as well. And there’ll be a whole load of talk about them wanting to redeem themselves. So I’ll never be able to escape this season that wasn’t. I can find it my heart to root for the post-2002 Pats once. But twice? I don’t think so.

No comments: