Thursday, July 31, 2008

Got some partners I can count on...

Normally I hate "check out this cool YouTube video!!!! It's so clever and ironic!!!!1!!" posts, but in this case, I'll make an exception.

I remember first watching this on Sesame Street almost 30 years ago. When YouTube first debuted, it was one of the first things I looked for, but to no avail. I finally stumbled across it after seeing one of those YouTube splice jobs showing Bert and Erine singing M.O.P,'s "Ante Up." This is better.

If you want to see what made me happy when I was four or five years old, watch the clip. The whole thing is great to me, but the real money shot comes at 0:46.





COME ON! THEY'RE TAP-DANCING!!!

The first time I watched this was the pinnacle of my TV watching experience at the time, and it filled me with such complete joy. I really can't describe how funny my four or five-year-old self found this sketch.

I have no idea of this objectively stands up today, because I'm pretty biased. This is my favorite clip from Sesame Street of all time. Hands down. The Yip-Yip aliens come close, Bert "doing the Pigeon" is classic, and Captain Vegetable is brilliantly surreal. But this trumps them all. This clip literally had me watching Sesame Street for another year or so, in hopes that I would catch it again. I don't think I ever did.

And, to get into Uncle Jesse mode once again, I look forward to the day I can show this clip to my nephew. Hopefully when Jonah is old enough to watch and understand Sesame Street, he'll think it's as funny as I did. But if he doesn't, I may never speak to him again.

No comments: